Italy Prayer Pilgrimage
May 10, 2021
"A geographical pilgrimage is the symbolic acting out of an inner journey." –Thomas Merton
Grace Commons is partnering with Axiom Monastic Community, an arm of Youth with a Mission, to offer a prayer pilgrimage to Assisi, Italy as the culmination of our year of Live Prayer. Axiom builds upon monastic traditions while providing contemporary opportunities to practice and express prayer rhythms in Christian communities. This pilgrimage will take us to St. Francis’ home of Assisi including Mt Subasio where Francis and his friends went often to pray.
About the Journey
Our Pilgrimage Experience will include:
- Historical teachings and tours of this beautiful and culturally rich part of Italy, as well as of the life of St. Francis.
- An exploration of Contemplation and Prayer, after which we'll enjoy an afternoon of Silence and Solitude on the slopes of Mount Subasio that towers above Assisi.
- Indulging in many different flavors of Gelato, a couple times a day, since it's only 1 Euro!
- Watching the sunrise next to the ruins of Rocca Maggoire Castle, above Assisi, as it casts its rays across the Umbrian plains.
- Making friends with local friars, and learning more about the Axiom Monastic Community.
Our journey will begin on the Monday evening at 7pm on May 10. Each attendee is free to depart Assisi anytime Saturday, May 15, before check out time, which is usually between 10 and 11am. If scheduling flights from Rome, allow enough time to get to the airport by train (usually 2-3 hours). We will stay at Hotel Posta Panoramic, located just two blocks from the center of the city. Breakfast is included in the hotel stay.
Everyone will cover their own lunch and dinner meal expenses, including choosing their own lunch and dinner destinations, both as we tour together, as well as during free time. Some have expressed a desire to experience various Italian cuisines during the pilgrimage, some have mentioned they are on a strict missionary budget, and a few may fast a meal or two. This gives freedom for this variety. (We have good recommendations for those with, or without much money!)
Assisi is a beautiful two hour train ride north of Rome, from Roma Termini. Arriving at either Rome airport one is required to take public transport to the Roma Termini train station. (Always remember before boarding a train in Italy you need to go by and make sure your train ticket is stamped by a stamp machine that is always right next to each train you board. Regional trains are the cheaper ones, versus express.)
Total Estimated Cost
$2,695 (plus lunches & dinners) for single occupancy or $2, 575 (plus lunches & dinner) for double occupancy.
- Pilgrimage Cost: $435
- Hotel Posta Panoramic: $400 single occupancy, $290 double occupancy
- Flights: $1750 (Denver to Rome)
- Internal Transport: $100 (Train from airport to train station, and train from Rome to Assisi)
- Meals: Breakfast included in room cost, on own for lunch and dinner.
Costs of hotel and airfare subject to change based on cost at time of booking. Grace Commons staff is available to help you book your travel.
Contact Janet Schultz with any questions.
In preparation for your time in medieval Umbria there are a few books we recommend:
- A good novel that's a both interesting and fun read, with a very intentional post-modern bent is Chasing Francis; A Pilgrim's Tale by Ian Morgan Cron.
- For those who love history, Reluctant Saint by Donald Spoto, is both thorough and insightful in its approach to the life and times of St. Francis.
- For those who appreciate both the wit and charm of G. K. Chesterton's works you will enjoy his book on St. Francis as well.